Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!










And then off to college where Dad met and fell in love with her.









Marlene Hope was born July 5th, 1950 in Rexburg, Madison County, Idaho.

Age 18 months.

Age 2.

Age 3 plus.

Age 7, ready to be baptized


It is a wide known opinion that a wife does not get along with the mother-in-law.There is something about a new girl coming in and reaping the benefits of the work that a mom has put in over 25 years making the son into a gentleman that causes a permanent rift in the relationship. You did a great job Marleney! I hope putting in all that effort to make a respectable son means you are more likely to get a better quality of Daughter-in-law.But seriously you are a great mother-in-law and I have never felt uncomfortable or tense with you.You are such a pleasant person and you've always been so sweet to me. I hope you have a great birthday!

Love Kristyn

When I think of Mother Dear...It makes me want to chear! I love the way she make me feel,When I am greated at home with zeal! No matter how hard some days can be,mom has a talent to help me see.. all the potenitial in the upcoming dayI'm so glad you are here to stay!

Love Paul

Marlene: first, happy birthday. Thanks for being who you are. I think one of your best qualities is your respect of other's agency. You have a great way of encouraging those around you to be better while respecting who they are and giving them room to grow. I wonder if that is why Joy and your other kids are such great people. Thanks for raising a wonderful daughter. Our little Allie emulates her all the time and wants to be a mommy too. Its fun to see you in both Joy and Allie. Allie kissed me with her arms around my head for a little too long this morning - quite... passionate. I told her only mommies and daddies can kiss that long so she said, "well I'll just pretend to be a mommy then." Is this all your fault Marlene? We love you and hope your day is a great one. -Jason

I love mom's sense of humor: I remember her making fun of my big shoes, putting rocks in our oatmeal for april fool's day, and hearing about her sarran wrapping Paul to his bed, before he woke up in the morning. It made life fun and more enjoyable. One time when I went to scout camp she made up a letter because she didn't have anything to write about. That was fun! I enjoy her creativity and her sense of humor. That is why I am glad she is my mom. - and she gives good hugs!

Love, Sam

Mom, One of the things I admire about you is your wisdom. You are so wise and your perspective on things is inspiring to me. I have found, with some reluctance, that you are often right. Two silly examples recently in my life 1) You told me to get a house coat after I had a baby. I didn't want to. They are ugly and grandma-y. But you ARE right! It is so much easier to nurse a baby and lay around the house and not feel like I have to hide in the closet if someone comes to the door unexpectedly. I hate to admit it, but I LOVE my ugly, grandma-y housecoat. Especially right after having a baby. 2) I bought white fabric for the bumper on the crib. You said I would be much happier if I did. You were right. You didn't press too hard on that and you let me come to my own conclusion. Which is that I agreed with you. I finished the bumper and it looks sooo CUTE! You were right.Thank you for being solid foundation of good and right. I love you!

Love, Joy

I remember sitting on Mom's bed watching her iron her temple cloths. I could tell it was important to her. I remember waking up one morning to find she had painted the dinning room pink over night. When she had an idea in her head she just went with it. When I asked her "why pink?", She simply stated that it was her favorite color. She said pink was a soft, cheerful color and it occurred to me that maybe she needed more gentleness and cheerfulness in her life. It hadn't occurred to me before that mothering could be a hard thing because she is so natural at it! Thanks mom for hiding the ugly truths about motherhood until I'm in so deep there is no way I would ever want to recover from it! :) Your good at what you do!

Love ya-Jenny

Happy Birthday Mom! I love you so much! I have so many great memories of you... many of them funny! I always laugh at the blonde moments, especially as I realize I have many myself! I think I get that from you!I love how you comfort me and always have the right answers when I have a problem. I am amazed how you can use the scriptures everyday and give me spiritual comfort! You are so smart! I will always need my Mother!

Love, Wendy

Why I have the best Mother-in-Law:She never pressures us. She loves Lucy.She is without guile. She is the best masseuse. She laughs easily.She raised Victor to be the best father and husband.She has a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.She doesn't meddle in our business.She lets me be who I am. She comes to my shows. She gives us HOPE!Love, her favorite daughter-in-law (Molly)

Happy Birthay Momma. I have loved sharing birthdays with you. It has been so fun. You are such a great inspiration to us all. When I was trying to think of what I wanted to get your for your birthday, I first thought..."what is it that Mom loves the most?" Then it hit me. Hearing from your kids would be the best thing I could get you. So here you go Momma. I love you so so so so so so so much. Happy 29th Birthday!!!!

Love, Peggy

9 comments:

marlenegetsmail said...

sorry, this was my first blog posting, and it was harder than I thought. SO ignore the duplicate pictures, and also the pictures got out of order... so whatever. I still love you mom!

marlenegetsmail said...

and oh ya, this is peggy writing under Mom's account...

marlenegetsmail said...

Yes, Peggy is right. I love hearing from you all and I miss you. You are my life as much as your kids are yours. Your all grown up now, some of you have have developed talents I didn't know you had. You have married wonderful people and I was thinking today, how grateful I am that you decided to come to our home. Thanks to Dad for letting me stay home with the children. I have had a blessed life.
Mom

marlenegetsmail said...

Yes, you all do have a wonderfull Mom. Aren't I lucky she agreed to marry me. I love you sweetie.
Love, Dad

paynejandj said...

Way to go Peggy. Your mom deserves a great birthday. Did you get all those pictures scanned top secret style? Thanks for the great opportunity to tell Marlene we love her. -Jason

Mirjam said...

Marlene, Happy Birthday!
It's actually the 6th now, but I can blame the time difference ;).

I'm so grateful you welcomed me in your home and experience Jackson family life. And Marlene, you truly are the center of that, what a great mother you are.

I hope you had a great day and much more to come.
Love, Mirjam

Sharalea said...

What a beautiful way to honor such a beautiful woman!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT MARLENE! I feel blessed to have you in MY life and to have felt the mother-love from you as well as I have had the opportunity to live in your home and be blessed by your goodness. Thank you for your awesome example of motherhood--as I am starting this new journey myself, I am made aware (daily) of the true details that are involved in being a Mom...& I'm just in the newborn stage with ONLY ONE!! hahahaha

Hope your birthday was wonderful, I am sending big southern hugs your way from your "TN daughter"...:)

love,
Shara

Linda said...

I was SO excited to see this post! I also loved seeing a childhood pic of Marlene that looked so much like Paul to me! Did anyone else think that?
I was also thinking I hope Le knows what a lucky dude he is...to have snagged this girl! And Jenny i loved your post, because truly, Marlene does get an idea and RUNS with it..I loved her pink walls! I didn't realize that was an overnight change!
And Joy , your housecoat post! LOL very funny and true! Ya'll are lucky to have Marlene, and I love her as a sister! Thanks Peggy!

Jen and Joe. said...

I'm sorry I'm four days late! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUNT MARLENE!

Either you told me this story or Joy did...I can't remember. But my favorite Marlene moment to think about has to be the one a time long LONG ago--when your kids were small and all at home--and you told them YOUR NAME WAS NO LONGER MOM.

It wasn't until I had a 2 year-old who begins, ends, and fills each sentence with, "Mama, please, Mama, thank you, Mama, may I, mama," etc, that I realized why you decided, for that day, to change your name. =)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!