It's hard to know what to say to my hero. My knight in shining armor.
I'll never forget riding down the PCH, the wind blowing in our hair, as I fell hopelessly in love with him.
I could see from the start he was a man of the highest character. The way he talked about his family--I never doubted he would treat his wife with respect. But I had no idea what I was in for with him as a father.
And sadly, seeing him deal with Lucy's death is what made his character shine the brightest. Set against such a dark background, he shone brightly as the sun for me. My guiding star at night. My reason to breathe.
To quote Dr. Packer, one of Lucy's doctor's in the PICU,
"When you work in a children's hospital, you see people's true colors shining through. This is not always a good thing. But your true colors are brilliant. As I watched you wade through tragedy with Lucy I saw grace, love and Christ-like charity. I thought, on more than one occasion, 'this is what the ideal husband looks like. these are the qualities thatcount, the personality traits that really matter.' Your love for Lucy shined through, and while that was beautiful to see it wasn't the really impressive thing. The thing that sticks out to me when I think of that awful week is your sense of gratitude and love for everyone else around you. From nurses to doctors to janitors to friends and family and most especially, Molly. It was a week that you are given a free pass to be selfish and awful and you weren't. The stuff that you are made of is good stuff."
Isn't that beautiful? How did I get so lucky? How do I get all the goodness in me?? (Brian Reagen). The glimpses you catch of him as a father are just that, small glimpses. You should see him in everyday life. Sacrificing so I can follow my dreams and passion. Painting, cleaning, organizing, putting away laundry. Reading to me every single night so I can fall asleep-- Even over the phone when we are apart. Doting over Peter and marveling at his every move. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for putting such a marvelous man in my life. He made me a mother. I don't think he'll make a Saint out of me, but keeping me sane is more than I could ask for. I love you my Man Clam. (Did you know that is my nickname for him? Long story...)
Happy, Happy Birthday Victor dear. Happy Days will come to year all year. If I had a wish then it would be--to be with you, Lucy, and Peter for eternity.
Some of my favorite times:





What a Victor.
I'll never forget riding down the PCH, the wind blowing in our hair, as I fell hopelessly in love with him.
I could see from the start he was a man of the highest character. The way he talked about his family--I never doubted he would treat his wife with respect. But I had no idea what I was in for with him as a father.
And sadly, seeing him deal with Lucy's death is what made his character shine the brightest. Set against such a dark background, he shone brightly as the sun for me. My guiding star at night. My reason to breathe.
To quote Dr. Packer, one of Lucy's doctor's in the PICU,
"When you work in a children's hospital, you see people's true colors shining through. This is not always a good thing. But your true colors are brilliant. As I watched you wade through tragedy with Lucy I saw grace, love and Christ-like charity. I thought, on more than one occasion, 'this is what the ideal husband looks like. these are the qualities that
Isn't that beautiful? How did I get so lucky? How do I get all the goodness in me?? (Brian Reagen). The glimpses you catch of him as a father are just that, small glimpses. You should see him in everyday life. Sacrificing so I can follow my dreams and passion. Painting, cleaning, organizing, putting away laundry. Reading to me every single night so I can fall asleep-- Even over the phone when we are apart. Doting over Peter and marveling at his every move. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for putting such a marvelous man in my life. He made me a mother. I don't think he'll make a Saint out of me, but keeping me sane is more than I could ask for. I love you my Man Clam. (Did you know that is my nickname for him? Long story...)
Happy, Happy Birthday Victor dear. Happy Days will come to year all year. If I had a wish then it would be--to be with you, Lucy, and Peter for eternity.
Some of my favorite times:




What a Victor.

3 comments:
Wow. I can't even imagine to have something like that written about me. Wow. I am awed to be related to him (and yet not at all surprised).
Well said.
Happy Birthday Vic! I love my special memories of you. You have always been great to talk to!
Post a Comment