I was just reading Joy's recent blog post, and I have to second her statement about not wanting to blog. I have thought about posting a zillion times, but writer's block always followed. When writing about something serious there is always the risk of understating the event. Also, most things of this nature bring out the person's best prose and eloquence. However, I make no claims to being a great writer. I like it short and simple. So in coinciding with my style, I will share, in a short and simple manner, the random thoughts that have pervaded my mind the past few weeks.
*First, I keep thinking about the 7 stages of grief:
Shock/disbelief
Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Guilt
Depression
Acceptance and Hope
I'm not sure why, but this process keeps popping back in my head. Quite possibly all these stages will not be reached with everyone, but sometimes knowing where you're at emotionally/what you have to look forward to is what some long for. I know where I fall on that scale. And it so wonderful to know that the atonement can help us individually to reach the acceptance stage.
*Second, there was a talk by John Bytheway on the subject of why bad things happen to good people. In the talk he shares a thought specifically in regards to why catastrophes like plane crashes, earthquakes, and the like happen; why would Heavenly Father allow that? But I think his response applies to more than just those types of events. He answers it with a question of his own - how do we know how many things Heavenly Father prevents from happening? He goes on to say that so many times we pray to "get home in safety", and how many times have we done just that? This little accident that befell on Lucy was the kind of accident that many people could wonder, how could He let that happen? But when thinking about Bytheway's question, I wonder how many instances he prevented from happening before that day? It's very possible that Heavenly Father wanted Vic and Molly, and the extended family, to enjoy her just a little longer. Truly, it is a blessing that if she was destined to go so early in her life, that we were able to know her for so long.
*Lastly, I vividly remember my aunt telling me the story of when she was on her mission to Paris, and her father passed away. The mission president called her into his office and said that she could go home if she'd like, or she can stay. She decided to stay. However, the part that keeps repeating in my head is how she explained that the next 3 days were powerful for her. She said she felt as if a blanket was wrapped around her. She was not sad that her father passed away. She missed him, but she did not feel sadness. She said the spirit helped her tremendously to be able to focus on missionary work, and helped to comfort her during such an awful time. After the 3 days she didn't feel that 'blanket' anymore, but she was still able to work, and focus, and heal. After we heard that Lucy was in PICU, I prayed continuously that Vic & Molly would feel that same love from Heavenly Father. I really hope they felt that.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Posted by Kristyn at 1:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Thank you Kristyn, I love that and I didn't know the stages of grief. I love you. Marleney
Kristyn, you're always so articulate. What an amazing perspective.
Great post Kristyn! Wonderful thoughts to carry with us.
Thank you Kristyn.
Wow Kristyn. Thanks for that! now get to your blog and let's see something besides two LOST people. Serious. I mean it. YOU CAN DO IT! show us some cute Thacker!
nicely written Kristyn.
Post a Comment