Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day


encelia farinosa
Brittle Bush

This fabulous xeriscaping plant needs little or no water, lots of sun and blooms in the winter here in Arizona. They grow so easily and well, and look great in a desert landscape like ours aims to be. I have wanted one for a while but its low on the budget priority. Last year, with all the other seeds that blew into my yard and turned into weeds, a Brittle Bush seed found its way in. I pulled the weeds by hand around this plant and watched it grow, recognizing it for what it would be. This winter it is full grown and the little yellow flowers are fabulous. Every morning when I open my curtains to see the sun rise (and wake the boys for school) I purposely look at my beautiful plant that arrived as a gift from someone who loves me and knew what I wanted. Happy Valentine's Day to me.
Side note: we still have plenty of weeds in our yard and while we will eventually kill the little buggers, I like to give them a sporting chance because some of these plants might be something good that I didn't recognize at first. Funny how life is like that! Now- I always knew that Dad liked me best, :) but if you have great stories about our Heavenly Fathers love- I'd love to hear them! I love you all and hope you have a great day! Jenny

5 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

What a great story! I often think of Heavenly Father's love when I think of Vic. He is so so different than what I thought I "wanted" or would end up with, but he is exactly what Heavenly Father knew I needed. (and if I really think about it, he IS exactly what I had asked for, just like you wanted that plant...though I often fail to recognize this). In him lies so many qualities that are waiting to be manifest in me, if only I will allow him to do so.

Anonymous said...

Jenny!!! You cant keep telling stories that make me cry!

Pack of Robinsons said...

Molly -i love to here about your love for my brother. we had our 'rough patch' growing up but became good friends later and i'm better for that now! -jenny

Pack of Robinsons said...

p.s. is it wrong to pray that a coach bag blows into my yard? jenny

paynejandj said...

I may have told some of you this already but a girl in our ward had a baby that lived for about 15 min. and then died. They knew he was going to. Weeks later when she and her husband bore their testimonies, they talked about how spiritual of an experience it was to be there (there are a lot more details to the story) and then she said something I thought was so powerful... she said that through the sorrow and grief she really felt the arms of the Lord around her and that she "felt like an only child". The love and the Spirit of the Lord was so strong as to carry them through that time.