Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dear Vic,

...and Sam, Joy, Wendy, Paul, and Peggy,

I thought about you while running. You popped into my mind around mile 9 when Tom Petty started singing on my Nano "well I started out down a dirty road, started out all alone. And the sun went down as I crossed the hill. And the town lit up, and the world got still. (are you singing yet, because I was) I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings. Coming down is the hardest thing."
Did you know I have that CD? It's probably yours. It reminds me of when we roomed together and I have great memories from that. I thought about all the things I've learned from you, from all of you. The important lessons you all teach, and the kindness you give when you allow me to learn things on my own, even when you watch me being clueless. Sam, I think about your struggles alone and wish we could all relay with you, taking turns sharing the strain. Joy, I am so sorry that you had to quit track in High School. I get how fun running is now, and I wish that I had taken you to DQ and commiserated together on the way life works out sometimes. I wish we could do that now, when we have hard days. ( I overheard Mackay telling someone "Sometimes I have a nice mommy, sometimes shes mean!") Yep, days like that. Wendy and Peggy, I heard stories about things you did with your roommates and wished I could have been your roommate, at least, longer than I was. Wendy, we are making up for lost time. Peggy I hope I get the chance. Paul. You are too cool for me, but hanging out with families of our own was super cool and I loved the ideas you came up with for your family. You play and hard as you work. I'm learning to do that too. Running has done that for me. I also thought of Lucy, and of Molly's marathon mantra and of the influence of in-laws.
Elder Bednar gave a talk that I really loved. Read it when you have a moment. He states that "Our physical bodies make possible a breadth, a depth, and an intensity of experience that simply could not be obtained in our premortal estate. "
We “accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize [our] divine destiny as heirs of eternal life.” 1 Please note the primary importance of obtaining a physical body in the process of progressing toward our divine destiny."
I'm noticing my own growth in learning through running. There are times when I think, I'm gonna run an 8 minute mile today and then I get out there and realize, I don't run that fast! Then there are times that we've planned a 9 mile run and I think, 'I can't run that far', and then I do! It's as if having really physical experiences, enhance our intellectual growth as well.
Growing up in our family gave me, gives us, so many chances to learn. Running gives me more time to reflect on what I'm learning. It's a good mix.
I love you all. Thanks for withholding judgement ( to my face) and for talking, blogging, sharing your lives and experiences. I'm so lucky to be a part of all of you. I just wanted to let you know that, and that I thought of you all for at lest 3 miles, ...until I stopped thinking and sprinted to the finish line!
Love, Jenny

4 comments:

Jason and Joy said...

Love your thoughts Jenny. We were listening to a song the other day and it always makes me think of Vic. Which song? Beyonce's "Single Ladies". Yup. It is because of his Beyonce dance he did while waiting for a table at a restaurant. If you don't know the story, you need to ask him. The story makes me smile so much because that is so my brother.

Joy

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Jenny, Loved your thoughts. Withholding judgment? Sorry, I haven't withheld judgment. And if I haven't clearly expressed it before let me do so now. You are amazing. I constantly marvel at how you have grown and continue to do so. It seems there is no stopping you. Like a marathon runner you keep going and going - growing and growing. I wish I were more like you. You seem so practically perfect, so on top of things. Now on the critical side I would say you don't blog enough and post pictures of your family enough, I guess you have some work to do there. Pick up the pace lady. Love you.
Vic

Pack of Robinsons said...

so did that last comment start out as Molly and end up as Vic? just wondering. thanks for you high praise!

Wendy said...

Wow, Jenny. You are so insightful! And caring! And loving!The only thing I would be thinking about would be "AIR! I gotta stop! AIR!" I love you!