Tuesday, November 11, 2014

True to the faith.

I have to comment on this because this morning the Today show said the person of interest for the week was Joseph Smith. The statement was from the church and  they said Joseph Smith had 40 wives. Not much more than that.
I read a book by Orson Scott Card about a women who was married to him and the book and perspective  upset me so I looked into it. Take note: I was warned by 3 ladies not to go into it, it is better not to know some things .What! I am basing my life around something and I better not go into it too deep! not for me, I want to know about all of it, every detail.  So I did.
I started with the internet and found a book by a BYU professor who is not excommunicated and is still teaching. I click onto his book.
In his book he was able to find 33 wives. He has a life bio. for each of them and it is interesting, sad, misunderstood and soul searching information.  I can't find it(the name)  today, but it should be on line.
So the comments from the women were very mixed. Some married other men  later and left the church, some stayed and just lived a normal life without him in it. Apparently sex was not a part of  most of these marriages. Some women were married to Joseph Smith with their husband standing right there in the ceremony. So weird!
Joseph Smith married some of these women because he loved their husbands so much. He thought that marring them meant that they would all be sealed together-wife and other husband- and be in heaven in that condition. He was a little mixed up. He never, as far as this professor wrote, supported these women financially. So in short this polygamist system for Joseph Smith was just a binding people together. Most of these women had children by other men and lived less than happy lives. Joseph Smith kept these marriages secret from Emma and the main body of the church. He was threaten remember by an angel to do this or end his life.
At one point, Joseph had two sisters that he married, living  in the mansion house. Emma was fine until she saw that  Joseph spent time in their rooms and not with her at night. (Don't know if it was one night, each sister or what) she threw them out. At this point, Emma thought it was adultery or it appeared to be adultery. Remember she clamed that polygamy was not practiced by Joseph.
In short, he was not painted or clamed by any of these women to be lecherous or dirty or insistent or anything.  Some women -who left the church - maybe they spread rumors, who knows.
One more thing. One women on her death bed told here daughter that she was the daughter of Joseph Smith. So, there you have it. Sex-  it did happen. But it didn't happen 40 times.( I suppose she can be believed.) They, most all  of the women, went out west and had to take care of themselves or married other men.
Can you still accept Joseph to be a prophet even though he had some mixed up ideas? All of  you come from polygamist families.  Hatch and Smith on Dads side and Price on my side.
So as you go about your day, remember he was not a sex fiend or screwball. This will all be sorted out. Don't loose your testimony on this stuff.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I know Joseph was a prophet and restored the complete gospel. President Ukdorf said in our regional conference that in heaven the church may not even remsemble what we know today. But thats not the point. The point is Jesus christ and we have all the steps to be with him again. To be with our families forever!

Vic said...

I didn't realize how long its been since I looked at the family blogs [any of them]... not sure what to say about that. Thanks Mom for posting this. I've seen a lot of anti stuff lately [especially from mormons/exmormons] and it is depressing to see. I like to have answers to EVERYTHING. The world doesn't work that way and the older I get the more I realize this, and how much I don't know. And how much I took for granted. I think that the world is designed to push us to seek out and have a relationship with Heavenly Father and the Savior [John 17:3]. That means that becoming a member, learning the basics in primary etc is really just the beginning. A rough sketch for where we have to go. Its great to have prophets and revelation but the Lord isn't giving them "enough" so that we can just sit back and tag along. Apparently we really have to do some work. Not what I wanted but there it is. There are SO many questions I wish I had answers for. Some of them troubling. In the end though I can't deny what I've experienced. And the most important questions aren't answered anywhere else.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

It is definitely disturbing information and I can certainly understand and respect those who decide to leave- just as I can understand and respect those who decide to stay. There is a lot of difficult to swallow facts in our church history (and even doctrine). I'm proud of you for looking into it because, as you say, "if you are going to base your entirely life around something" you want to know! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us, Marlene. You are a great woman!

marlenegetsmail said...

Your comments have all been insightful and gracious. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I talked to Joy about this. It is upsetting but I can't decide what a God has planned for the church. We will see.