Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A good bread recipe is like a pair of jeans...

...everyone has a recipe that fits them just right but that doesn't fit everyone.
Here's mine!
Joy and Kristyn have asked for this one for some time so I'm finally posting it. My absolute favorite! Uses all things food storage, and its delish! I have tried on several recipes so when I found one that my kids love, I was sold! Good luck!
1/2 cup potato pearls (or flakes)
1 cup hot water
2 1/4 cup very warm water (120' F to 130' F)
1/2 cup brown sugar or honey
1/3 cup oil
6 cups flour approx. ( 3 wheat+3 bread flour or 4 wheat+2 flour, you choose the combo)
4 tsp instant dry yeast
1 TBSP salt
vital wheat gluten, follow the box

Directions
Mix the first two ingredients in a large bowl and let stand about 5 min or until reconstituted. Add remaining water, sugar, oil, yeast, wheat gluten and about 3 cups of flour. Mix and add salt. Knead by hand about 10 minutes until your no longer mad at "fill in the blank". (You know; made with love!) Then cover and let rise in a warm place 40 to 60 minutes or until you have had enough time to catch up on your blogging.
Punch dough down with one last curse word of forgiveness and divide in half. Form and put into two greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place 35 t0 50 minutes or until you realize that your kids are getting hungry and waiting longer could be disastrous!
Position oven rack so that the tops of the pans will be in the center of the oven. Bake at 350' for 35 min.

Sometimes I roll the dough out and put sugar and cinnamon in it so it rolls up into Cinnamon Bread.

3 comments:

paynejandj said...

Thank you, thank you!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

We won't tell anyone that I've never made bread before. I'll give this a try!

Jenny said...

Good luck Molly! Homemade bread has an empowered feel to it. Kind of like having a baby with out drugs. :)